Description(Reference number: 69589)
Coole Lodge is situated one mile north of Gort town at the entrance to Coole and is the last remaining gate-lodge of the Coole Estate which was home to Lady Isabella Augusta Gregory, one of the key figures in the Irish literary revival movement.
Over two hundred and thirty years old, the gate-lodge dates back to the late 1700's when Robert Gregory purchased Coole Estate on 18th June, 1768 from Oliver Martyn of Tullira Castle.
With the division of estates by the Land Commission, Mr. Laurence Joe Dooley acquired the gate-lodge and some land in 1934. Mr. Dooley was the gatekeeper and a watchmaker during Lady Gregory's time. The gate-lodge changed ownership on a number of occasions before it was sold at auction in the early 1980's.
In the early 1990's, local businessman Robin Marcus purchased the dilapidated gate-lodge and nine acres of adjoining land and the gate-lodge was painstakingly restored over the forthcoming years.
With this work now complete, Coole Lodge is now available to rent!.