HomeIrelandGalwayTuamThomastown House, Belclare, Tuam, Galway
€550,000

Thomastown House, Belclare, Tuam, Galway

5 beds 2 baths Energy RatingPeriod House Refreshed on Aug 13, 2022
Eircode: H54T628
Matt O'Sullivan Auctioneers
Matt O'Sullivan Auctioneers
Tel: 095 21 066
PSRA Licence No. 001605
Main image for Thomastown House, Belclare, Tuam, Galway
View Images (36)
MAP
COMMUTE TIMES
TRANSPORT
NEIGHBOURHOOD
SCHOOLS

Description

This is an unique opportunity to acquire a fine 18th century Georgian Country Manor House. Thomastown House which built in circa 1730 and later extended in circa 1870 is approached by a long tree lined avenue, set on circa 5 acres in a superb parkland setting with stone courtyard stables, outbuildings and a walled garden. The accommodation comprises of an entrance hall, drawing room, dining room, 2 kitchens, smoking room, 5 bedrooms, 1 ensuite and 1 bathroom, graveled courtyard, a large walled orchard, a stone coach house, tack room, and a cut stone stable. While the current owners redid the roof in 2007 with the original Bangor slates, the house is in need of some renovation work. The property is listed and as such heritage grants may be applied for. This fantastic piece of property is overlooking and nesting on the edge of a 100 acre Wildlife Sanctuary known as the “turloughnaroyey” the 100 acre disappearing lake. It is in the midst of the North Galway Hunting country. It is located adjacent to the village of Belclare where there is a pub/shop, school and church. Here the North Galway Foxhounds meet for their hunt. Tuam, a large town, is approximately five miles away and there is easy access to the Dublin motorway from here. Galway City is about 17 miles away. Knockma Hill the great hill of Maeve the legendary Queen of Connacht can be seen from the house and is just a short distance away. Three separate walking trails can be enjoyed here. Thomastown house and grounds are protected/listed structures and has been identified as one of the “Gentleman’s seats” in the parish of Belclare, the earliest identifiable architectural features in and around the house date it to the 1740’s but there are numerous structural anomalies that strongly suggest the fabric of the building contains elements from at least 100 years prior to this date circa 1640’s. This we are informed has been confirmed by architectural historians. These several building phases are represented by the original 18th C wing and a substantial 19th C extension, lending the house a beautiful sense of character, age and continuity. There is a second unused and overgrown tradesman’s entrance to the rear. The main courtyard to the rear houses the larger of the outbuildings, stables, tack room, carriage shed etc. Adjoining this courtyard there is a second yard now overgrown and disused with former stables, milking parlour, piggery and other miscellaneous stone buildings leading to the “Haggard” an Irish term for an open air hay/corn yard with a large stone cart house and the original stone corn stands (also known as rock stands, staddle stones or mushroom stones). It is thought that not many more than a dozen sets of these corn stands remain intact in Ireland. Beyond this lies the walled garden where the original cruciform layout of the garden can still be made out, the wall contains a beautiful old wrought iron pedestrian gate under a stone arch. This property would make an ideal family home being an easy commute to Tuam, Galway city and is close to the motorway for Dublin. It offers peace and tranquility with ample outbuildings which could be converted to studios etc. subject to the necessary planning permits.

Accommodation

Sitting Room 19’7 X 14’1 Pitch pine timber floors, coved ceiling, panelled pitch pine doors and black marble and cast iron fireplace Dining Room 19’6 X 14’1 Original pitch pine wooden floors, original doors and shutters and high skirting, coved ceiling and black marble and cast iron fireplace Kitchen 14’8 X 13’2 Terracotta tiled floor. Traditional range which heats radiators Kitchen 2 14’6 X 12’6 Fully fitted antique pine and timber floor Smoking room (original kitchen) 21’7 X 2’0 Used for smoking meat, original liscanner flag stone floor Bedroom 1 19’8 X 14’1 Feature marble fireplace and pitch pine timber floor Bedroom 2 19’7 X 14’3 Feature cast iron fireplace (tiled around fireplace), pitch pine floors Ensuite (6’4 X 14’6) with cast iron fireplace (was original dressing room) Bedroom 3 14’4 X 13’6 Feature cast iron fireplace. 14ft high ceiling Bedroom 4 14’4 X 13’9 Feature cast iron fireplace. 14ft high ceiling Bedroom 5 18’5 X 14’9 Wooden floors Bathroom 11’0 X 5’0 Bathroom fitted with white bath, whb, and toilet. 14ft high ceiling Special Features House is set on circa 5 acres 14ft high ceilings Orchard with high stone wall Gravel courtyard Solid fuel central heating Services: Sewerage: Septic Tank Water: Mains Folios: GY62154F & GY107727F

Features

Thomastown house is a detached five-bay two-storey house, built c.1730, aligned north-south and having flat-roofed two-storey projection to east elevation. Later east-west three-bay two-storey block attached to south end, built c.1870, having projecting full-height half-octagonal entrance bay. Pitched slate roofs to both blocks, with rubble stone and rendered chimney stacks to earlier block, and rendered chimney stacks at gable ends of later block with rendered copings. Limewashed rubble stone walls to earlier block and painted smooth rendered walls to later block. Square-headed replacement uPVC windows throughout, with limestone sills, fenestration of earlier block being irregular. Round-headed doorway in east side of projection to later block, having timber panelled door and reached by flight of limestone steps. Square-headed doorway to east elevation of earlier block, having timber panelled door and filled in fanlight with block-and-start voussoirs, and limestone plinth blocks. Two-storey stable block to east with pitched slate roof, walls of coursed rubble limestone, and segmental-arch carriage entrance with dressed stone voussoirs, and square-headed window and door openings with timber battened and latticework fixtures.

BER Details

BER: Exempt

Viewing Details

Viewings by private appointment-please contact our office. Disclaimer on All Listings These particulars are intended to give a fair description of the property only and are in no way guaranteed, nor do they form part of any contract. They are issued on the express condition that all negotiations are conducted through Matt O’Sullivan Ltd. All properties are offered subject to contract and to being unsold.
Price Changes in Tuam
Property Price Register in Tuam
Main image for 5 Hazel Court, Galway Road, Tuam, Galway
-€20,000(-6.35%)
€315,000€295,000
C2
Main image for Woodfield,Dunmore,Co. Galway,H54 HF58
-€15,000(-7.14%)
€210,000€195,000
E1
Main image for Clare View Cottage, Lehid, Tuam, Galway
-€20,000(-8.51%)
€235,000€215,000
G
Main image for 21 Birches Close , Tuam, Galway
-€10,000(-4.55%)
€220,000€210,000
D1
Main image for 71 Country Meadows, Tuam, Galway
-€10,000(-6.67%)
€150,000€140,000
B3
Main image for Birmingham Road, Tuam, Galway
-€15,000(-5.45%)
€275,000€260,000
D1
Main image for Ballygaddy Road,Tuam,Co. Galway,H54 AE78
-€20,000(-10.00%)
€200,000€180,000
E2
Main image for 1 Meadow Avenue, Milltown Road, Tuam, Galway
€10,000(3.33%)
€300,000€310,000
D1
Main image for 4 The Birches Close,Galway Road,Tuam,Co. Galway,H54 C993
-€12,000(-4.96%)
€242,000€230,000
C1
View All Price Changes

Thomastown House, Belclare, Tuam, Galway

€550,000

Main image for printing
Beds5 beds
Price€550,000
Property TypePeriod House
Size meters2
Energy RatingBER-Exempt
Refreshed onAug 13, 2022
EircodeH54T628

Description

This is an unique opportunity to acquire a fine 18th century Georgian Country Manor House. Thomastown House which built in circa 1730 and later extended in circa 1870 is approached by a long tree lined avenue, set on circa 5 acres in a superb parkland setting with stone courtyard stables, outbuildings and a walled garden. The accommodation comprises of an entrance hall, drawing room, dining room, 2 kitchens, smoking room, 5 bedrooms, 1 ensuite and 1 bathroom, graveled courtyard, a large walled orchard, a stone coach house, tack room, and a cut stone stable. While the current owners redid the roof in 2007 with the original Bangor slates, the house is in need of some renovation work. The property is listed and as such heritage grants may be applied for. This fantastic piece of property is overlooking and nesting on the edge of a 100 acre Wildlife Sanctuary known as the “turloughnaroyey” the 100 acre disappearing lake. It is in the midst of the North Galway Hunting country. It is located adjacent to the village of Belclare where there is a pub/shop, school and church. Here the North Galway Foxhounds meet for their hunt. Tuam, a large town, is approximately five miles away and there is easy access to the Dublin motorway from here. Galway City is about 17 miles away. Knockma Hill the great hill of Maeve the legendary Queen of Connacht can be seen from the house and is just a short distance away. Three separate walking trails can be enjoyed here. Thomastown house and grounds are protected/listed structures and has been identified as one of the “Gentleman’s seats” in the parish of Belclare, the earliest identifiable architectural features in and around the house date it to the 1740’s but there are numerous structural anomalies that strongly suggest the fabric of the building contains elements from at least 100 years prior to this date circa 1640’s. This we are informed has been confirmed by architectural historians. These several building phases are represented by the original 18th C wing and a substantial 19th C extension, lending the house a beautiful sense of character, age and continuity. There is a second unused and overgrown tradesman’s entrance to the rear. The main courtyard to the rear houses the larger of the outbuildings, stables, tack room, carriage shed etc. Adjoining this courtyard there is a second yard now overgrown and disused with former stables, milking parlour, piggery and other miscellaneous stone buildings leading to the “Haggard” an Irish term for an open air hay/corn yard with a large stone cart house and the original stone corn stands (also known as rock stands, staddle stones or mushroom stones). It is thought that not many more than a dozen sets of these corn stands remain intact in Ireland. Beyond this lies the walled garden where the original cruciform layout of the garden can still be made out, the wall contains a beautiful old wrought iron pedestrian gate under a stone arch. This property would make an ideal family home being an easy commute to Tuam, Galway city and is close to the motorway for Dublin. It offers peace and tranquility with ample outbuildings which could be converted to studios etc. subject to the necessary planning permits.

Accommodation

Sitting Room 19’7 X 14’1 Pitch pine timber floors, coved ceiling, panelled pitch pine doors and black marble and cast iron fireplace Dining Room 19’6 X 14’1 Original pitch pine wooden floors, original doors and shutters and high skirting, coved ceiling and black marble and cast iron fireplace Kitchen 14’8 X 13’2 Terracotta tiled floor. Traditional range which heats radiators Kitchen 2 14’6 X 12’6 Fully fitted antique pine and timber floor Smoking room (original kitchen) 21’7 X 2’0 Used for smoking meat, original liscanner flag stone floor Bedroom 1 19’8 X 14’1 Feature marble fireplace and pitch pine timber floor Bedroom 2 19’7 X 14’3 Feature cast iron fireplace (tiled around fireplace), pitch pine floors Ensuite (6’4 X 14’6) with cast iron fireplace (was original dressing room) Bedroom 3 14’4 X 13’6 Feature cast iron fireplace. 14ft high ceiling Bedroom 4 14’4 X 13’9 Feature cast iron fireplace. 14ft high ceiling Bedroom 5 18’5 X 14’9 Wooden floors Bathroom 11’0 X 5’0 Bathroom fitted with white bath, whb, and toilet. 14ft high ceiling Special Features House is set on circa 5 acres 14ft high ceilings Orchard with high stone wall Gravel courtyard Solid fuel central heating Services: Sewerage: Septic Tank Water: Mains Folios: GY62154F & GY107727F

Features

Thomastown house is a detached five-bay two-storey house, built c.1730, aligned north-south and having flat-roofed two-storey projection to east elevation. Later east-west three-bay two-storey block attached to south end, built c.1870, having projecting full-height half-octagonal entrance bay. Pitched slate roofs to both blocks, with rubble stone and rendered chimney stacks to earlier block, and rendered chimney stacks at gable ends of later block with rendered copings. Limewashed rubble stone walls to earlier block and painted smooth rendered walls to later block. Square-headed replacement uPVC windows throughout, with limestone sills, fenestration of earlier block being irregular. Round-headed doorway in east side of projection to later block, having timber panelled door and reached by flight of limestone steps. Square-headed doorway to east elevation of earlier block, having timber panelled door and filled in fanlight with block-and-start voussoirs, and limestone plinth blocks. Two-storey stable block to east with pitched slate roof, walls of coursed rubble limestone, and segmental-arch carriage entrance with dressed stone voussoirs, and square-headed window and door openings with timber battened and latticework fixtures.

BER Details

BER: Exempt

Viewing Details

Viewings by private appointment-please contact our office. Disclaimer on All Listings These particulars are intended to give a fair description of the property only and are in no way guaranteed, nor do they form part of any contract. They are issued on the express condition that all negotiations are conducted through Matt O’Sullivan Ltd. All properties are offered subject to contract and to being unsold.