DescriptionThe possibility of acquiring a large period property on an acre of mature gardens in a secluded setting yet within 1km of Cork City seldom presents itself. This unique opportunity has arisen with the launch of Knockrea House on the Douglas Road to the market. The property offers an unbeatable location, impressive site size and substantial period house.
Knockrea House is a spectacular property extending to approx. 348 Sqm (3,750 Sq. Ft) of accomodation spread over two floors and boasts many of its original features, offering spacious living and bedroom accomodation throughout. The property dating back to the early c.1820�s is listed on the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage and is appraised as �Knockrea, previously known as Summerville, represents a modest early nineteenth-century house, which was modified later in the Victoria period with the addition of architecrural embellishments favoured at the time, including the pediments and surrounds to the windows and front door, and the canted bay windows�.
This remarkable home offers all the original features and characteristics that you would expect from a building of this age and architectural structure to include high ceilings, sash windows with shutters, stained glass in pannelled doors, original cornicing, centre roses and picture rails, plus gas fired central heating.
The accomodation extends to entrance hall, reception hall, drawing room, lounge, study, family room, kitchen, back kitchen, pantry, toilets and cloakroom all on ground floor level. The first floor is home to five double bedrooms and two guest toilets which completes this level. Access to the property is through large recessed double entrance gates with piers and a curved driveway lined with mature laurels leading to a gravel surfaced area with ample parking space.
This superb property sits on a large site of manicured lawned gardens extending to approximately 0.4 hectares (1 acre) with extensive planting of mature shurbs and trees benefiting from a southerly facing aspect. The property is situated in a higly sought after residental locaton just before the entrance to Knockrea Park and just 1.4km from Douglas Village which has a range of services and amenities including two shopping centres, shops, restauraunts, and pubs. There is convenient access to the city centre and the South Ring Road network.
- GROUND FLOOR
- Entrance Hall (2.23m x 2.11m )Feature front door leading through to reception hall.
- Reception Hall (5.36m x 4.82m )Double doors with stained glass and fan light to include stained glass leads from the entrance hall through to this spacious and bright reception hall with winding staircase leading to first floor. Access to drawing room, lounge and family room finished with carpet flooring.
- Drawing Room (7.28m x 5.19m )Located to the front of the property with feature bay window and two large picture windows this room enjoys feature fireplace (although currently blocked off) and is ideal for entertaining . Original features to include cornicing, high skirtings and brass door furniture
- Lounge (7.27m x 5.17m )A sister image of the drawing room this room looks in the opposite direction and captures the evening westerly sunshine. Again original features of high skirting boards, cornicing, picture rail, sash windows and shutters abound. Fireplace fitted although currently blocked off.
- Study (3.87m x 2.96m )Ideally located just off the reception hall, this room is a perfect study area with carpet flooring. It has a large sash window.
- Family Room (5.12m x 4.12m )This room has two large windows overlooking the western side of the gardens.
- Back Hallway
- Toilets (2.84m x 1.81m )Ideal for conversion to family bathroom at ground floor level.
- Cloakroom (3.71m x 1.78m )Ideally suited as utility room.
- Kitchen (4.34m x 2.86m )Fitted with floor and eye level units, this room would work well if combined with the back kitchen as the original kitchen for this home. Looking east onto a lovely walked internal courtyard which could be a kitchen garden or could easily be glazed over.
- Back Kitchen (4.36m x 4.23m )This room was the original kitchen of this home and still enjoys the large fireplace area which could become home to an Aga. Combined with the current kitchen this area could become the heart of the house once more. Side door to gardens.
- Pantry (2.01m x 2.00m )Located to the back of the kitchen.
- Landing Sweeping staircase with painted newels and varnished handrail. High stained-glass window at half landing return with access through to annex. Cornicing and centre rose at landing level with drop down light.
- FIRST FLOOR
- Bedroom 1 (5.46m x 5.25m )This master bedroom is spacious and bright with two large sash windows complete with shutters overlooking the southern side. Fireplace fitted and finished with carpet flooring.
- Bedroom 2 (5.48m x 5.25m )A sister image to bedroom 1 this room is spacious and bright and enjoys again two large picture windows overlooking the southern side. Fireplace fitted and carpet flooring.
- Bedroom 3 (5.26m x 3.86m )Enjoying an easterly aspect this double room has two windows and again fireplace ftted, carpet flooring.
- Bedroom 4 (5.27m x 3.89m )A fine double bedroom located off the landing with large window overlooking side garden, finished with carpet flooring.
- Toilets With separate ladies and gent's toilet this area could easily be returned as family bathroom to serve the upper floor.
- Bedroom 5 (5.08m x 4.01m )A fine double bedroom located of the half landing and has window overlooking courtyard garden, finished with carpet flooring.
FeaturesSuperb location approx. midway between the city centre & Douglas Village.
3,750 sq. ft over two levels.
Exceptionally spacious living & bedroom accomodation.
Period property with high ceilings, sash windows with shutters, stained glass, cornicing.
Mature landscapped gardens with private entrance & driveway.
Extensive site of approx. 0.4 hectares (1 Acre) with development potential, subject to planning.