Kinsale, Co Cork
c. 0.98 Hectares or 2.42 Acres.
For Sale by Private Treaty
Majestic waterside Georgian sanctuary in a magnificent private setting on an elevated site on the banks of the River Bandon
Ballywilliam House is believed to be the seat of the Barter family. Ballywilliam House has existed in some form on lands at Ballywilliam since 1765, when the Barter family first established itself in County Cork. William Barter is believed to have built the house that stands today in 1816. Several members of the Barter family held lands in and around Kinsale in the 1870s, including Benjamin, who owned over 400 acres at Ballywilliam as well as other lands near Ballinhassig.
On Saturday 27th April 1839, Benjamin Barter advertised Ballywilliam House, out-offices and demesne of 100 acres for lease. He highlighted the demesne's salmon fishery and quay.
By 1870, Benjamin Barter was back living in Ballywilliam House with his wife, Mary. Benjamin died in 1874, and in 1875, Mary Barter offered Ballywilliam House out for lease. By 1884 she was looking to sell the property, along with other lands the family held near Ballygarvan. In 1886, Ballywilliam House was bought privately through a soli ci to r. The buyer was eventually revealed to be Dr. George Vickery, Kinsale's dispensary doctor.
Dr. Vickery continued to practice as a dispensary doctor in the town of Kinsale until his retirement in 1920. By this time, the War of Independence was underway, leading ultimately to the occupation of Kinsale town by Anti-Treaty forces in July 1922.
As the Free State (Pro-Treaty) forces advanced on the town, the Anti-Treaty IRA began to occupy strategic positions around the town to prepare for its defence. One of the buildings they had their eyes on was Ballywilliam House, which overlooked the Bandon River, and across which the Free State army eventually attacked. The Anti-Treaty troops arrived at the house late one night and informed Dr. Vickery that they needed to occupy the house. Dr. Vickery testily responded that he kn ...