DescriptionHillside Cottage is a superb 4 bedroom home-from-home holiday retreat located on a hill side above the popular seaside village of Downings in North Donegal. From its wonderful elevated site the cottage enjoys breathtaking views over Downings harbour and beach, Sheephaven Bay, Rosapenna and the North Donegal Highlands.
Hillside Cottage has an open plan design on the gound floor with the living and sunroom areas enjoying superb coastal views. The Cottage is just 2 minutes walk from the village pubs, hotels and takeaways. The beach is 5 minute walk and only a few minutes drive from Rosapenna golf resort.
The 2 double bedrooms upstairs are ensuite, located off a scenic gallery with velux windows. The 2 twin rooms downstairs boast great storage and there is also a large main bathroom with power shower and a separate bath on the ground floor.
The suntrap to the front of the house has 2 picnic benches and a BBQ for eating and drinking outside and a fully enclosed area to the rear of the cottage with a clothes line. There is plenty of outdoor enclosed space if you wish to bring a small boat or your surfboards.
Hillside Cottage is one of our favourite places to unwind, relax and enjoy sea views from the sunroom and we hope your stay in Downings is equally as enjoyable.
The Downings Area
The Downings area has an abundance of tourist amenities. It boasts two first class championship golf links at Rosapenna - the superb Sandy Hills course and the more traditional Old Tom Morris course - our personal favourite! Or why not try the driving range. The Meevagh Dive Centre in Carrigart is situated between Mulroy Bay and Sheephaven Bay and offers diving all year round. Charter boats based at Downings offer sightseeing trips around the local bays . They also cater for deep sea angling with Shark, Bottom, Wreck, Sand, Bluefin Tuna, Tope & Reef fishing.
The Blue Flag beach in Downing village is a mecca for water sports enthusiasts – including wind surfers, kite surfers, swimmers and water skiing . More secluded beaches are dotted around the Rosguill Peninsula. The Magherabeg Leisure Centre in Downings is a modern leisure centre which is open to the public and features swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, and gym.
But if you are looking to just relax, why not take the 5 minute walk to the beach and stop off in Martin's Harbour Bar for a pint or go to McNutt's for tea on the pier.
The Atlantic Drive
Hillside Cottage is near the starting point of the renowned Atlantic Drive – a truly spectacular coastal drive around the rugged Rosguill Peninsula. On the western side of the peninsula the road skirts the shores of Mulroy Bay northwards towards Melmore Head. Along this route there are several fine sandy beaches and secluded inlets. There are also dramatic views of the Fanad Peninsula and the Mulroy Bridge. On the other side of the peninsula the road follows the shoreline of Sheephaven Bay – with wonderful views of Tory Island, Horn Head, Muckish Mountain and Ards Forest Park.
Less than 5 km away is the Mulroy Bridge that links the Rosguill and Fanad Peninsulas. This will make it much easier for visitors to the holiday home to access attractions such as Fanad Lighthouse, Portsalon Beach and Golf Course and the Knockalla Coast Road.
Local Attractions and Amenities
* Golf at nearby Rosapenna Golf Club – featuring two classic 18 hole links course. Other superb courses in the general locality include Dunfanaghy and Portsalon
* Enjoy beautiful unspoilt beaches on your doorstep – Downings, Tramore Strand, Melmore, Tra na Rossan
* Enjoy diving in the clear waters of Mulroy Bay and Sheephaven Bay - the Meevagh Dive Centre is based in nearby Carrigart
* Go sea angling or sightseeing on Sheephaven Bay - licenced charter boats are available at Downings
* Visit the enchanting Ards Forest Park
* Avail of the leisure facilities at the Magherabeg Leisure centre in Downings
* Take a trip around the spectacular coastal drives in the region - the Atlantic Drive, Horn Head, Lough Salt Drive and the Fanad Drive
* Visit Glenveagh National Park, with 16,000 hectares of mountains, lakes, wood and bogs. Glenveagh contains the largest red deer population in Europe. Within the National Park Glenveagh Castle and gardens are well worth a visit on their own
* Find numerous peaceful roads, country lanes and mountain tracks to walk.
* Climb Muckish and Errigal. Mount Errigal, the highest mountain in Donegal is a demanding climb and once on the summit you can see for miles around.
* Take a day trip to Tory Island
Please note that no dogs or pets are allowed.