Woodbrook House, Portarlington, Portarlington, Laois
Woodbrook House, Portarlington, Portarlington, Laois
|Property Type||Country House|
An impressive and substantial late Georgian house comprising 2 and 3 storeys privately set within its own lands . Extensive any sympathic restoration over the last number of years included the rebuilding of a mid 18th century wing complete with 4 storey tower and undertook much of the structural repairs necessary but repairs in some parts of the residence are incomplete . Woodbrook House represents an opportunity for a potential purchaser to complete and decorate the house to their liking and perhaps would consider a commercial use subject to the necessary planning consents . Approx. 39 ha / 98 acres with the laid out to pasture and tillage interspersed with maturing parkland trees. About 1,398 square meters/ 15,078 square feet comprising in brief : reception hall, stair hall, 6 reception rooms, kitchen, Orangerie, Master Bedroom Suite, 12 further bedroom suites, a number of offices and stores. Gate Lodge ( 1 bedroom ), large selection of stone outbuildings and yards and two walled gardens. • Portarlington 4km • Emo 7.5km • Portlaoise 16km • Kildare 14km • Dublin 80km • Dublin Airport 60-minute drive • The Heritage Killenard Hotel & Golf Club 5 minute drive • Ballyfin House 25 minute drive • The K- Club 50 minute drive • The Curragh Racecourse 25 minute drive • Punchestown Racecourse 45 minute drive (times approximate) History The Woodbrook Estate came in to being on the marriage of Knightly Cherwood to Hester Brooking at St. Michael’s Church Dublin in 1698 . Hester brought 620 acres of land and Tinakill Castle with her as a dowry and in 1700the couple set upon building a residence there . A letter dating as early as 1712 describes “the continued building works and improvements” to the property. In 1713 Cherwwod befriended Jonathan Swift when the latter returned to Ireland as Dean of St. Patrick’s. A long friendship and correspondence ensued . Swift travelled frequently to Woodbrook, using it has his weekend retreat , and it is here in the library he penned much of Gullivers Travels. Unfortunately, as with many of Swifts friendships, he and Cherwood had a falling out and spent their latter years not speaking to each other. On February 17th 1752 , Cetwood died in London . His son Valentine, who in 1758 was High Sherrif of Co. Laois , succeeded him. He in turn passes away in 1771 and was succeeded by his son Jonathan . The family continued to reside on the estate until 1963 until the blood line ran out . The original house was a modest 2 storey property comprising drawing room, ding room, library and 4 bedrooms, but like many Irish country houses embellished as family circumstances allowed. In 1750 a grander 3 storey wing was added incorporating a 4 storey tower. A fire in 1790 saw the demise of the drawing room but cleared the way for the now existing Regency wing. The drawing room houses a collection of wall paintings depicting scenes of Scottish Castles, created to remind the new Mrs. Cherwood, a daughter of the Earl of Mann and descendant of the Kings of Scotland , of her homeland. The paintings, executed in the style of Watteau, remain intact to day and have only recently been proved to be the work of Scottish artist David Ramsay Hay . It is one of 3 complete rooms of his work known to survive the others being 73 Lower Baggot Street, Dublin 2and the staircase hall at Preston Hall in Scotland . Synopsis of restoration work to date Extensive and sympathetic restoration has been undertaken in the last number of years to restore the property to its former 18th Century glory and reinstate the 18the Century wing complete with 4 storey tower that was lost in the 1970’s . Great effort has been taken when restoring , rebuilding or replacing to use materials sympathetic to the original craftmanship of the house . The schedule of works to date to the main house include ; restoration and replacement of all roofs using reclaimed 18th Century slate where required: replacement of all windows with traditional timber sash windows, reinstating the original hand spun 18th Century glass where possible and taking the opportunity to install a “Ventrolla” draught exclusion system to all windows . The current owner undertook much of the structural repairs necessary but repairs are incomplete; complete rewiring with 5 separate zones ; installation of new gas fired heating system with 5 separate zones; insulation of new plumbing with 2.5 bar pressure to power showers to all bedroom suites; installation of a new well with all bathing water passing through a water softener system; installation of a “Puraflow” sewage treatment system with superfluous capacity fro present accommodation, i.e. could potentially take accommodate extension/conversion of outbuildings subject to the necessary consents; new insulation and fireproofing throughout, wired for high specification integrated fire alarm system; wired for 3 phone lines wireless broadband, and Phonewatch, fittings throughout and the replacement of all gutters and down pipes .
Entrance Hall; with ornate domed ceiling . Drawing room: with original grey marble fireplace. Suite of oil paintings by David Ramsy Hay depicting scenes of Scotland . Wired for phone , smoke alarm and music. Dining Room ; with original Kilkenny marble fireplace. Silver cupboard. Wired for phone. Smoke alarm, music and service bell to kitchen . Staircase Hall: with ornate ceiling and decorative arched window . Library: with original fitted bookcases including a “secret door “ and original Kilkenny marble fireplace. Wired for phone, smoke alarm. Music and tv Breakfast Room; with original Kilkenny marble fireplace. Wired for phone, smoke alarm and music. Kitchen: with full range of bespoke cupboards and granite counter tops . Full range of integrated appliances including two oven Aga, 4 electric ovens, twin microwaves, twin dishwashers, 5 ring gas hob, twin 6ft refrigerators. Trapdoor to vaulted 17th Century cellar . Wires for phone, smoke alarm and music. Galleried Hall: over lit by ornate dome. Grey a marble fireplace . Wired for phone, smoke alarm and music. Billiard Room : with fireplace . Wired for phone, smoke alarm and music. Study : Anteroom with fireplace leading to octagonal study . Wired for phone, smoke alarm and music. Orangerie : with double glazed pvc roof . 4 pairs of timber double doors with fanlights opening to south facing garden. Master suite with fireplace . Wired for phone, smoke alarm, tv and security lights on the grounds. Leading to dressing room and master bath plumbed for bath separate shower, wc, twin whb, twin heated towel rails. 12 further bedrooms all with bathrooms ensuite . Smoke alarm and phone. All ensuites plumbed for bath/shower, wc, whb and heated towel rail . A selection of offices and store rooms including strong room. Gardens and grounds At the entrance to the estate there is a Gate Lodge with a kitchen, living room, shower room and mezzanine bedroom . Extensive yards behind the house comprise a large range of stone outbuildings in varying repair, some benefit ting being re roofed in natural slate. Immediately beyond these yards lie 2 walled gardens. The lands are laid out to pasture and in crop and benefit from extensive tree planting (c 1,000) throughout the estate including a very impressive avenue of Lime trees and planting to reestablish the parkland lost in the 1970’s. Also filled in around this time was a large lake in the field off to the right of the avenue and north and east of the house which could possibly be reinstated . Fixtures & Fittings A full inventory is available on request and separate negotiation. Title Freehold Title Protected Status Woodbrook House is a listed protected structure .
*An impressive and substantial Late Georgian House. *Approximately 39 Hectares (98 Acres) . *Vendor would consider splitting the Estate in two Lots . *Lot 1 - Woodbrook House, Gate Lodge on approx. 10 Acres . *Lot 2 -Approx. 89 Acres of Land .
Strictly by Prior Appointment with Agent