A gracious period property built around 1720 and spectacularly positioned on some 1 acre within the historical town of Maynooth in the heart of county Kildare. The property enjoys a quiet, tranquil setting and provides 478 sq. m/5,145 sq. ft. (approx.) of excellent family accommodation.
The Old Rectory is a Georgian house with classical proportions, built in around the 1720s by the Duke of Leinster as a residence for the Rector of St Mary's Church of Ireland church on the same street. Originally it was a slightly smaller house, until in the 1880s when one of the Rectors, who apparently had thirteen children to accommodate, added another two windows on to the end of the building, joining it up with the stable block in the stable yard.
It remained in the possession of the Church of Ireland, and in use as the Rectory of the parish, until 1980 when the Church sold it to the Hayley family who were moving to Maynooth so that Barbara Hayley could take up a teaching post at the University - she went on to become Professor of English there, a post she held until her death in 1991. The house has remained in the possession of the Hayley family ever since.
The rooms are well proportioned; the entrance hall with wooden flooring being a welcoming area. The drawing room to the right is a beautiful entertaining room with feature open fireplace and marble surround. The dining room with superb views to the rear garden features a wood burning stove with wood surround. There is a large guest bedroom with an open fireplace to the rear with ensuite. The ground floor is complete with office and w.c. The lower level has a large kitchen area with Aga and a pantry and larder lead off this space. There is a TV room also that would lend ...