DescriptionA delightful small estate of approximately 14 acres with a beautifully appointed period house, fine woodland, lake, lawns, courtyard with apartment and colourful grounds all less than 30km from Dublin city centre.
The Manor is an exquisite example of a period country home that rarely comes to the market. Carefully restored and maintained over a number of years, the beautifully appointed 5/6 bed property is an outstanding example of a delightful compact estate with approx. 5 ha (13.7 acres) of parkland, fine woodland, private lake, original courtyard, stables, walled garden and an orchard. Nestled into the verdant countryside of Blessington, the
handsome property is located at the gateway to the Wicklow Mountains National Park.
With its origins in the 18th century the current house was built in 1835 in the Elizabethan gothic
style. Today the house presents itself as a magnificent family home with wonderfully spacious and bright rooms. The two storey over-basement property has maintained the period features reminiscent of its era throughout. The decor too enhances the ornate features and emphasises the tall windows and high ceilings. The accommodation has an appealing combination of grand and more intimate reception rooms on a more manageable scale. Throughout the house
there are exquisite features, including decorative cornicing and centre roses, wall panelling, grand
antique marble chimney pieces and original panelled double doors with decorative architrave surrounds.
The Manor is approached through an impressive entrance, accessed via a sweeping avenue across an enchanting wooden bridge over the Brittas River which is lined with mature specimen trees and passes the private lake before arriving at the imposing entrance front.
The main stately reception rooms, the drawing room and the dining room radiate off the central hallway. Both have high windows which are orientated to take full advantage of the delightful garden setting and fine views. The rooms have exquisite ceiling panelling and within the drawing room features 14 hand painted wall murals by renowned artist Edwin Hayes RHA. The main staircase is beautifully lit with natural light from the stained-glass cupola. The layout of the ground floor is extremely fitting for entertaining, with additional smaller reception rooms including a study and library, family rooms and a fully equipped kitchen.
The property is currently listed on Hidden Ireland as a heritage guest house and offers ample accommodation on the upper level. There are in total 5/6 bedrooms, four of which have en suites and two with an optional dressing room or nursery. The master bedroom boasts a large bay window with outstanding views stretching over the garden
and lake; there is also a dressing room and en suite bathroom.
The wing on the upper level is accessed from the ground floor or the back stairs from the courtyard. This wing could be used as self-contained accommodation with a living room, a separate kitchen, bathroom and three bedrooms.
The basement with stone flagged floor includes a utility room, the old kitchen, a games room, stores and a separate wine cellar.
The Manor is situated in a quiet rural area in the village of Manor Kilbride. The thriving hamlet of Blessington
is approx. 10 km from The Manor and this popular town offers an array of restaurants, cafes and boutique shopping and supplies all the general dayto- day needs, Dublin City and Naas are within easy reach.The area is well serviced for the outdoor enthusiast, with many walks through the Wicklow Mountains National Park and around Blessington Lake, For the golfers there are several golf courses close by and for the aquatic fraternity, there is Avon Ri, with its lake shore location offering swimming, sailing and fishing. The location offers secluded and tranquil country
living, yet it is only a 10-minute drive to the Luas terminal at Citywest/ Saggart and there is regular bus
service to Dublin (30 km). The N81 is within 5 minutes’ drive leading you to the M50 making the city and its
environs easily accessible for all.
THE GROUNDS AND GARDENS
In all The Manor sits on approx. 5.6 ha (13.7 acres) and in true estate fashion the mature gardens are an exceptional feature of the property. A private lake is a distinctive element, and nestled among the woodland and
meandering through the grounds is the Brittas River. The lake which is on the right of the avenue as you approach The Manor, has been reclaimed by the current owners in recent years, having previously dried up and is now stocked with brown trout up to 2 pounds and other varieties. The wonderful facility is ideal for swimming and leisurely
boating. Running from the lake through the grounds is the Brittas River which can be enjoyed along the woodland walk of deciduous and evergreen trees around the periphery of the grounds.
The gardens sweep around the house and are made up of the extensive forecourt and lawn to the front of the house which is surrounded by a colourful montage of blooming rhododendron bushes, with a sea of bluebells covering the ground.
The walled garden has been lovingly maintained and preserved and is home to flowering beds and an herbaceous border which also includes a fine selection of fruit bushes. At the other end is a vegetable patch and glass house. There is also a substantial orchard, which could also be divided into paddocks.
The main focus of the grounds, which the main reception rooms overlook is to the rear of the property with sweeping laws lined with colourful plantings leading to the lake and river.
The grounds of The Manor offer an undeniable tranquillity and serenity. In all, they are reminiscent of Frances Hodgson Burnett’s ‘The Secret Garden’ - An idyllic place where children and adults of all ages will enjoy exploring
for years to come.
To the rear of the main house, entered through an archway is the courtyard. Surrounded on four sides, the space is a sheltered haven and suntrap. A duck pond sits in the middle and the large windows of the kitchen look over the
space. There are also six lofted stables, with original cobble flooring and workshop / storage.
In 1824 the Kilbride estate was purchased from George Ponsonby's widow by George Ogle Moore, barrister, MP for Dublin from 1826 to 1831 and Registrar of Deeds until 1846. Moore, described by James Ambercromby as 'an orange lawyer of doubtful fame ' and by Richard Lalor Sheil as 'Sir Forcible Feeble', he was an aggressive defender of the
Protestant interest in Parliament, mocked by his opponents for his intemperate opposition to Catholic Emancipation.
The current 'Manor' house, designed by Thomas Cobden in Tudor Revival style, was under construction when the Valuation House Books were being compiled in 1843. It replaced or incorporated an earlier building, 'Kilbride House' depicted on the 1838 OS maps, possibly built before 1800. George Moore was living in Kilbride Manor in 1844, when
James Frazer noted 'a new mansion and other improvements are in progress'.
After Moore's death in 1847 his property passed to his son, the Reverend William Ogle Moore, the curate of Blessington and Kilbride parishes, whose financial difficulties are described in the diaries of Elizabeth Smith.
In March 1853 she noted: “Ogle Moore has completed the preliminaries of his sale. A few weeks now will see him an independent man. All debts paid, his little income clear, and twenty thousand pounds to leave among his six daughters. He will educate and start his sons and they must make their own way.” Moore's Estate Act of 1853 allowed Elizabeth Brown and her husband Joseph Scott Moore to purchase the Kilbride estate. In 1876, Joseph Scott Moore held 8,730 acres in Wicklow. Upon his death in 1884 he was succeeded by his son Joseph Fletcher Moore, whose son, Colonel
Joseph Scott Moore, died in 1950. All All three served as Justices of the Peace and High Sheriff of Wicklow.