Forgefield House, Kilkea is an elegant Victorian style house set on almost 2 acres of land, designed with some wonderful modern features. It is positioned in the quaint village of Kilkea, Co. Kildare, almost opposite the main gate to Kilkea Castle, alleged to be the oldest continuously occupied castle in Ireland since its construction in around 1160.
The site for this project was a paddock which at one time belonged to the Kilkea smithy thus inspiring the name Forgefield House. The other buildings in the centre of Kilkea village are constructed from limestone and were built in the Victorian period. The main properties of this period within sight of Forgefield House are the Old School House, the Rectory, the Castle Gate Lodge, and the Forge. For this reason it was decided that Forgefield House would also adopt a stone aspect in the traditional Victorian style. Despite being built in 2006, the house retains a wonderfully charismatic feel yet manages to mix the old with the new by introducing many modern features. The superb views stretch towards Killeshin Hills with vast acres of lush greenness in between.
Outbuildings include a studio, a two storey garage and a plant room. The studio is an ideal space for an artist/musicians/classes or even as a children's playhouse.
A pretty driveway leads into an open forecourt with ample parking up to the front door which is comprised of two fluted granite pilasters with curved corbels supporting a substantial granite canopy. The front door was an old reclaimed door with a semi circular fantail light window above which leads into the reception room/dining room and stair hall. The reception room has a joint fireplace connecting with the living room. The magnificent sweeping curved timbe ...