â€˜Ballycogley Castleâ€™: The original Ballycogley Castle, dating probably from the 13th century, still stands and although it is now in poor shape, it is steeped in history. Apparently from the invasion of Henry II, the family of Wadding was among the early colonists planted in Forth & Bargy and established at Ballycogley Castle. One of these Robert Wadding was chief sergeant of Wexford from 1356 to 1357 and Thomas Wadding was sheriff of Wexford in 1383. The Castle also has the distinction of being the birthplace of the Most Reverend Luke Wadding, Bishop of Ferns in 1679. Ballycogley was fortified after Cromwell and Richard Wadding is found in the list of those transplanted. Down through the years the Castle passed by marriage into the family of the Barringtons where it remained until early in the last century. Apparently Ballycogley Castle was sold in 1921 by a cousin of Major Charles Barrington from Cornwall.
Ballycogley Castle is approached by a tree-lined, stone wall avenue and nicely set-back offering total peace and privacy.
The Period Residence â€˜Ballycogleyâ€™ Houseâ€™, stands close to the ruins of the Castle and is now presented generally in good order. It is full of very considerable charm and character, approached by a gravelled avenue surrounded by some fine mature trees, with the arched entrance to the Courtyard beside the house. The outbuildings and land have the further benefit of rear access. The land is laid out in 10 principle divisions, together with some small paddocks around the house. It has extensive frontage onto the Wexford to Kilmore Road and a minor road, off which is the main entrance. A ten minute drive will take you to the Rosslare Europort, with daily sailings to the UK and mainland Europe. All amenities are available at nearby Wexford Town.
There are extensive outbuildings in the Courtyard adjacent to the Castle. These comprise 11 loose boxes and potential to easily convert existing buildings to provide more. These are accessed through a charming Courtyard and open to the rear of the old house, paddock and main entrance.
The lands are presented in excellent or ...