The Heeney’s is a modern 5 bedroom holiday home situated in lovely countryside halfway between the centre of historic Donegal Town and shores of Lough Eske . It lies just south ot the Bluestack Mountain range – an area of outstanding natural beauty
The holiday home has 5 large bedrooms to sleep 10 people comfortably. It has the advantage of 3 different living areas – a spacious living room, an open plan living space and a beautifully furnished conservatory. It has a large fenced in lawn which provides an ideal playground for children. The holiday home is a short drive from the internationally renowned Harveys Point Hotel and the 5 star Solis Lough Eske Castle Hotel. Both hotels have good reputations for bar food, entertainment and fine dining. The hotels have music at weekends
Lough Eske translates from gaelic as the "Lake of the Fish". Unsurprisingly then, the lake and its tributaries are popular for fishing, especially for spring salmon, sea trout and alpine char, with the season running from 1 March to 31 September. Indeed Lough Eske is only one of four fishing lakes in Ireland which boasts Alpine Char.
Lough Eske is surrounded to the north, east and west by the Bluestack Mountains, which occupy most of central and south west Donegal. The Bluestack Way passes close to the holiday home. This is a Waymarked Way designed to traverse the Bluestacks using existing roadways, paths and tracks to lead the walkers through the mountains in a safe and sustainable manner.
Lough Eske lies 6km to the northeast of Donegal Town, to which it is connected by the River Eske. Donegal Town is of great historical interest and has numerous tourist attractions. Donegal Castle stands beside The Diamond, overlooking the River Eske. Guided historical tours of Donegal Town take place on a daily basis during the summer and the Waterbus takes you around Donegal Bay. The ruins of Donegal Abbey, situated on the bay, are open to the public. Donegal Town also has several first class hotels and restaurants. There is entertainment each night in the local pubs with music to suit all tastes.
Local Attractions and Amenities
* Crafts- visit the Craft Village in Donegal Town (4km)
* Golf - a superb 18 hole links championship courses is located at Murvagh (15km)
* Surfing – Rossnowlagh (20km) has some of the best surfing in the world and the European Championships have been held here a number of times
* Walking - Many well-signed walks can be enjoyed in the nearby Bluestack Mountains .
* Horse-Riding - There are several horse-riding and trekking establishments in the area where you can enjoy an afternoon on horseback, riding through some of Ireland's most beautiful scenery.
* Cycling - South Donegal abounds with small, winding roads which offer spectacular views around every corner and are ideal for cycling.
* Within an hours drive of the holiday home there are numerous top class tourist attractions including Glenveagh National Park, The Ulster American Folk Park in Omagh, the Marble Arch Caves in Fermanagh and Slieve League in South West Donegal - the highest sea cliffs in Europe.