DescriptionAuchnish Cottage is set amidst the rugged and tranquil landscape of Cruit Island in West Donegal. The holiday home is 500 metres away from a wonderful sandy beach – just one of 8 beautiful beaches on the island. This setting makes Auchnish Cottage an ideal base for a relaxing break away from the stresses of modern living.
The cottage itself is deceptively spacious. A large master bedroom on the ground floor has excellent ensuite facilities. There are two more bedrooms on the first floor – a twin and double – both enjoying wonderful views of the rugged island landscape. Adjacent to these bedrooms is a bathroom with bath and separate shower. Also on the first floor there is a large games room with a pool table and television. This room enjoys views towards Aranmore Island. On the ground floor there is a tastefully decorated living room and a bright kitchen with dining area.
The rugged coastline around Cruit Island and around Kincaslagh on the mainland abounds with sandy beaches, small harbours and rocky shoreline. This wonderful landscape is ideal for a a host of outdoor activities such as walking, fishing, boating, swimming and bird watching. 5 minutes from the holiday home is the wonderful Cruit Island Golf Club. This is one of the best – and perhaps the most scenic – 9 hole golf courses in Ireland. The course overlooks Owey and Aranmore islands and has Mount Errigal as a backdrop.
The holiday home is located in a part of Donegal known as the Rosses (Irish for Headland). The Irish Language has survived in the Rosses - along with a healthy traditional Irish Music scene. The popular Irish Country singer Daniel O Donnell is from Kincasslagh. The renowned Leo's Tavern near Annagry is the home of the world famous Clannad and Enya and holds regular music sessions.
Cruit Island is an E.U. designated "Special Area of Conservation". The island dunes are home to a variety of wild flowers and rare bird-life.
The cottage is located 8km from Carrickfinn Airport with direct flights to Dublin and Glasgow Prestwick.
Local Activities / Attractions
* Golf on nearby Cruit Island Golf Club – a challenging and very scenic 9 hole course.
* Enjoy peaceful walks, deserted beaches, magnificent rockscapes, a wealth of wild flowers and rare bird-life - all on your doorstep.
* Try some of the local award winning restaurants in the region - Danny Minnies in Annagry or the Lobster Pot in Burtonport
* Go fishing on Loughanure lake - or on the many other lakes in the Rosses area
* Visit Leo’s Tavern in Meenaleck – the home of world renowned Clannad and Enya
* Take a trip around the spectacular Bloody Foreland
* Visit Dunlewey Lakeside Centre - Facilities include restaurant, tea-room, craft shop, adventure play areas, pets & animals, storytelling, boat trips on Dunlewey Lake, guided tours and weaving demonstrations.
* Take a day trip to Aranmore, Tory Island or Gola Island.
* Climb Errigal Mountain
* Visit Glenveagh National Park, with 16,000 hectares of mountains, lakes, wood and bogs. Glenveagh contains the largest red deer population in Europe. Within the National Park Glenveagh Castle and gardens are well worth a visit on their own