DescriptionAghalatty Cottage is a modern 3 bedroom holiday set in peaceful countryside just outside the coastal village of Carrigart in North Donegal. From its elevated site the holiday home enjoys lovely views towards Mulroy Bay and the hills of the Fanad Peninsula beyond. The dramatic Mulroy Bridge is a short distance from the holiday home – a bridge that makes Aghalatty Cottage an idea base to explore two of Irelands most beautiful Peninsulas – Rosguill and Fanad.
The holiday home has comfortable accommodation for up to 8 people. A sofa bed provides extra accommodation. An open plan layout features a large living space which opens out to a sun room with sea and mountain views..There is a well equipped kitchen with an adjacent dining area . Outside there is a nice decking area, a secure shed and enclosed front and back lawns.
The village of Carrigart is less than 2km from the holiday home. This quaint coastal village is well served with shops, pubs, café’s, and gift shops. The popular seaside resort of Downings is 6km away and it has an abundance of tourist amenities including the Magherabeg Indoor Leisure Centre. The tiny village of Glen on the shores of Glen Lough is 8km away. This is the location of the Old Glen Bar which is renowned throughout the region for its bar food.
Ideal Base for Beach or Golf Holiday
Aghalatty Cottage is an ideal base for a beach holiday. The superb Tramore Is an unspoilt beach that stretches for over 5km along the shores of Sheephaven Bay from a point south west of Carrigart right into Rosapenna. At nearby Downings there is another fine beach which is popular for swimming and watersports. If you prefer your beaches a little quieter then there are numerous secluded beaches dotted along the length of the Atlantic Drive. The Mulroy Bridge brings the wonderful beaches of the Fanad Peninsula within easy driving distance – including the Blue Flag Portsalon Beach and Ballyhiernan Strand. The latter beach is the venue for the Adventure One Surf School which is the leading ISA (Irish Surfing Association) approved school on the north coast of Donegal. Closer to the holiday home is the PADI approved Meevagh Diving Centre in Carrigart itself which offers diving training all year round
Aghalatty Cottage is also a good base for the keen golfer. Stretching along the length of Tramore Strand is the magnificent Rosapenna Golf Resort which features two superb natural links courses – Sandy Hills and the Old Tom Morris Course. Both courses are highly ranked in Golf Digests Top 100 courses in Ireland . At Rosapenna there is also a driving range and a fine pitch an putt course. The top class Portsalon links course is just 13km away via the Mulroy Bridge and Dunfanaghy Golf Club is 20km to the west.
Local Activities and Attractions
* Go fishing on Glen Lough or the Lackagh River. There are also fine fisheries in Creeslough (Lough na Tooey) and around Dunfanaghy (Sessiagh, Port and New Lake). Permits are required
* Visit the enchanting Ards Forest Park (18km)
* Enjoy beautiful unspoilt beaches in the locality – Tramore Strand at Rosapenna, Downings, Tra na Rossan, Melmore
* Find numerous peaceful roads, country lanes and mountain tracks to walk.
* Enjoy diving in the clear waters of Mulroy Bay and Sheephaven Bay
* Go sea angling from Downings Pier
* Take a trip around the spectacular Lough Salt Drive and the Atlantic Drive
* Visit Glenveagh National Park, with 16,000 hectares of mountains, lakes, wood and bogs.
* Climb Muckish and Errigal.
* Take a day trip to Tory Island