Description8 Magherabeg is a modern 4 bedroom holiday home located in the popular holiday resort of Downings on the Rosguil Peninsula in North Donegal. This well appointed self catering accommodation is situated in a small hillside development which enjoys views over Sheephaven Bay towards Muckish Mountain. From the front door it is 1km to Downings beach and village centre and also just 1km from the 2 superb championship golf courses at Rosapenna. The holiday home is located close to the start of the scenic Atlantic Drive that meanders around the coast of the rugged Rosguill Peninsula.
Beautiful Beaches on your doorstep
Downings beach is a lovely 2km beach that stretches from the quaint village harbour to the rocky headland at Rosapenna. It is a popular beach for swimmers, walkers, kite fliers, wind surfers and boating. At the other end of the Rosapenna headland is the fabulous Tramore Strand which stretches for over 6km along the shores of Sheephaven Bay. If you prefer your beaches a little quieter then there are numerous beaches dotted along the length of the Atlantic Drive
Rosapenna Golf Club
Stretching along the length of Tramore Strand is the magnificent Rosapenna Golf Resort which features two superb natural links courses – Sandy Hills and the Old Tom Morris Course. Both courses are highly ranked in Golf Digests Top 100 courses in Ireland - Sandy Hills at No 21 and the old Tom Morris at no 33. The top class Portsalon links course is just 18km away via the Mulroy Bridge and Dunfanaghy Golf Club is a similar distance to the west.
Downings is an ideal base to tour North Donegal. Located on the scenic Rosguil Peninsula it is within easy driving distance of two more of Irelands most beautiful Peninsulas – Fanad and Horn Head. Heading towards Horn Head the visitor will pass the majestic Ards Forest Park, the Creeslough Lakes , Muckish Mountain and the popular beach resorts of Marble Hill, Portnablagh and Dunfanaghy. In the Fanad direction you have the dramatic Fanad Head Lighthouse, the Knockalla Coast Road and the holiday resorts of Portsalon and Rathmullan. All three peninsulas are ideal walking terrain
Local Activities / Attractions
* Enjoy beautiful beaches on your doorstep – Downings, Tramore Srtrand, Tra na Rossan, Melmore.
* Go sea angling or sightseeing on Sheephaven Bay - licensed charter boats are available at Downings. Fishing includes Bluefin Tuna, Shark and Tope.
* Golf at Rosapenna Golf Club – featuring two classic 18 hole links course. Other superb courses in the general locality include Dunfanaghy and Portsalon
* Enjoy the indoor facilities at the Magherabeg Leisure Centre
* Take a trip around the spectacular coastal drives in the region - the Atlantic Drive, Horn Head, Lough Salt Drive and the Fanad Drive
* Enjoy diving in the clear waters of Mulroy Bay and Sheephaven Bay - the Meevagh Dive Centre is based in Carrigart
* Visit Glenveagh National Park, with 16,000 hectares of mountains, lakes, wood and bogs. Glenveagh contains the largest red deer population in Europe. Within the National Park Glenveagh Castle and gardens are well worth a visit on their own
* Find numerous peaceful roads, country lanes and mountain tracks to walk.
* Climb Muckish and Errigal. Mount Errigal, the highest mountain in Donegal is a demanding climb and once on the summit you can see for miles around.
* Take a day trip to Tory Island