A 19th century flour mill driven by its own stream and millpond with all the internal workings intact but needing full restoration. This is for sale with or without enough land to accommodate a new build home or just a paddock.
The mill buildings measure about 2,500 square feet gross.
the land area with the adjacent site would be about 4.35 acres (1.75 hectares)
A stone built three storey 19th century mill with iron mill wheel, 2 mill stones, a drying kiln and all the associated milling equipment. Also in a separate corrugated shed a saw mill driven off the wheel.
A compact mill without the enormous bulk often found with these buildings this offers an approachable opportunity to restore a working flour mill for the artisan milling sector.
The mill last worked in the 1980's.
"We donâ€™t know when Clogga Mill was opened but it was first recorded as being there in 1850 (however it was more than likely older than this - at least circa 1800, there may have been other mills on this site previously). At this time (1850), it was ran by Edward Bowers whose family would have been the local landlords for the area. It is then recorded as being owned by a James Walsh who ran it with his brother in the 1880s. In the early 1900's it was then bought by the Mennell family who ran it until 1924 until they left as they felt uncomfortable in Ireland at the time being English during the revolutionary period. It was then bought by Jimmy McDonald. He and his sister Peg resided there till their deaths in the 1970's and 1980's. It was then passed on to their nephew Wattie Hogan who resided their until his death in 1999. It is still in the possession of the Hogan family.
The mill was used to grind corn (barley and oats) to meal, to be used for animal feed stuffs. It was run for many years by Jack O'Shea who also lived in the mill on the third floor until his death in the 1960's. When the Mill was first built, a stream was diverted and dammed to create two ponds which built up the pressure and flowed down the mill race ...