DescriptionFarrell Auctioneers & Estate Agents Ltd are delighted to bring to the market Ballycurrin House a restored period house on the shores of Lough Corrib outside Headford Co. Galway. Ballycurrin House dates from the 1770's and is a beautifully restored period house located in rural splendour close to the shores of the famous Lough Corrib on approx 3.7 acres of land with a charming guest cottage, caretaker’s lodge, and the historic ruins of the 14th century Ballycurrin Castle. It provides immediate access to fishing on Lough Corrib as it has it’s own private jetty. Ballycurrin House, cottage and lodge are currently available for rent and are an ideal base for those interested in angling or holidaying in the West of Ireland region. All accommodation is less than 50 metres from the lakeshore. Located in the centre of Europe's largest brown trout fishing district and in the sought after area of Headford with its rural tranquility, this property offers incredible potential as a beautiful family home with uninterrupted views of the countryside, Connemara Mountains and Lough Corrib. Headford is a well-established town located 12 minutes from the property with a host of amenities including shops, supermarkets, pubs, restaurants, primary and secondary schools, public transport, childcare facilities and various sports facilities. The property is 20 minutes from Ballinrobe, 30 minutes from Claregalway, 30 minutes from Tuam, 34 minutes from Galway City and just an hour from Knock airport.
AccommodationDrawing Room 7.10m x 7.40m
This room has original solid oak flooring, south west facing windows over the lake with beautiful original design double glazed sash windows. There is also a limestone arch with brick built insert feature large open fire place with ornate antiques.
Reception Hallway 4.80m x 9.20m
This area has original solid pine flooring and feature ceiling centre piece and antique feature staircase.
Dining Hall 5.10m x 7.10m
This area has beech/maple flooring and large open fireplace with antique surround and limestone arch.
Hallway To Basement 1.00m x 4.90m
Master Bedroom Suite 7.20m x 7.45m
This room has semi solid beech/maple flooring, triple aspect room with windows facing east, south and west, feature wall lighting and two open antique fireplaces.
En- Suite 3.00m x 4.30m
This area is tiled floor to ceiling and contains enclosed shower unite, w.c, bidet and vanity w.h.b unit.
Landing 5.20m x 1.90m
This area has solid pine flooring, access to the hot press and attic and staircase to ground floor.
Bedroom 2 5.20m x 3.60m
This room has beech/maple semi solid flooring, open antique fireplace.
Bedroom 3 3.80m x 3.70m
This room has beech/maple semi solid flooring, east facing window and feature fireplace.
En – Suite 2.00m x 2.70m
This area is tiled floor to ceiling and contains vanity w.h.b, w.c and enclosed shower unit sliding doors.
Kitchen 7.00m x 7.50m
This area has limestone flagstone flooring, fully fitted kitchen units with granite worktops, mosaic splash back, integrated appliances, gas stove and two larder units,
Living Area 7.50m x 5.40m
This area has limestone flagstone flooring, arch feature limestone wall with treble aspect windows.
Bathroom 3.10m x 7.50m
This area contains antique cast-iron bath with cast iron surround, all antique sanitary ware including w.c, bidet, and w.h.b.
Features• Ballycurrin House dates back to 1770’s
• Set on approx. 3.7 acres
• Two separate properties on the lands
• Access to fishing on Lough Corrib
• Private Jetty
• Restored to its full glory including sash windows and 13ft ceilings.
• Located just 10 minutes from Headford which is a host to all amenities
• Located 34 minutes from Galway city
• Located 1 hr from Knock airport
• Ideal wedding venue
Viewing DetailsViewing of this property is strictly by appointment only to arrange a viewing please contact Farrell Auctioneers, Valuers & Estate Agents LTD on 091 - 632688 or 086 - 2455925.
HistoryBallycurrin House was the former home of a branch of the Lynch family, the tribe of merchant prices who ruled Galway for some 600 years. In its grounds is one of the Lynches' defensive towerhouses - the 14th century Ballycurrin Castle. The ruins of Ballycurrin Castle, seat of the Lynches, are also on the grounds. Sometime in the 18th century, Henry Lynch built the house as a more comfortable dwelling - records suggest the current house was built in 1828 to replace that one. The last Lynch to live there was Charles Lynch, who died in 1897. A supporter of the Land League, Charles established a Gaelic football club among his tenants and gave over his lawns for the sport. He was also something of an inventor. One of his designs, for a model paddle wheel, was displayed at the Exhibition of Art and Industry at the RDS in 1853. Charles and his wife Helena had only one child who died in infancy, so on Charles' death, the estate passed to the Clarkins. One of an American branch of the Lynch family contested the will but to no avail - the 1901 census shows a clatter of Clarkins living there. In 1914 it was sold to the Congested Districts Board, which in turn passed it to a retired English army officer named Colonel Beddington. He renovated and landscaped it before being hounded out of the place during the Irish war years. Rumours still abound as to who was actually responsible for burning the house down in 1921. own on the lakeshore, though no longer on the property either, is Ireland's only inshore lighthouse, said to have been built in the 1700’s by Henry Lynch so the steamer from Galway to Cong could get to Ballycurrin House with provisions. Sources differ on that though. Locals favour the version that has Henry Lynch's wife building Ballycurrin Lighthouse so her husband could find his way home from the pub. The current owner in recent years has lovingly restored the property to his former glory. Since its restoration, the estate has been in commercial use for holiday lettings, parties and weddings.