DescriptionO'Keeffe Estates are delighted to present 29 Newbridge Avenue to the market, an impressive double-fronted residence which is set in a highly convenient and much sought-after location
The property is deceptively large offering approx. 210 sq m over two floors, currently divided into 6 Apartments with Large Back Garden and an option to convert back into a luxurious family home. The property is steeped in History and if the walls could talk would tell the tales of many historical figures of importance that visited the property including Padraic Pierce, Joe O'Ruairc, Éamonn MacThomáis.
This historic residence has stood through the evolution of modern Dublin and traces the stories, and the experiences of all those who have passed through its hallways. Brothers Joseph, Jack,Tim and Fredrick O’Rorke, were all members of the various sections of the original, Irish Republican Brotherhood, and later after a disagreement over the treaty of 1922, were members of the Irish Free State and the Irish Republican Army (IRA).
In the years leading up to the rebellion and then during the War of Independence (the Black & Tan War) the house was utilized at various times as a weapons cache, and also as a meeting place for rebel leaders and rank and file volunteers.
Also during this period their mother Gertrude O’Rorke (a midwife) also took care of pregnant and destitute women in the house.
The property is a terraced home that was built in 1874 by the O'Ruairc Families great great Grandfather John Hogan and still retains many of the elegant period features found from the era. It was Hogan who constructed all of the terraced residents on either side of 29 Newbridge Avenue, including others in the neighborhood (no’s 29, 27, 25, 23, 21 and 31 Newbridge Avenue), Number 29 is the last remaining property in the O'Ruairc Family name. Constructed with locally quarried granite from the Dublin area.
The grandeur of this residence is evident on approach with the grand stone staircase, leading to the original oversize front door that opens onto the large second floor entrance way.
Throughout the property you will find impressively high ceilings allied to original cornicing, sash windows and marble fireplaces which give a light-filled house a strong sense of its time. The house was built on land originally leased from Lord Pembroke and was built from Stone and faced with Red Brick, with ground floor walls approx 3ft thick and upper walls approx 6 inches thinner. The walls feature granite parapets and although the property has been upgraded and converted over the years the original features have been meticulously maintained.
This property would make a great investment property or Family home and must be seen to be appreciated. The property has ample room for extension to the rear subject to relevant Planning.
Newbridge Avenue is moments from Sandymount village and Ballsbridge with local cafes, eateries, bars, boutiques and shops. The Aviva Stadium and Lansdowne Road DART station are within a few minutes' stroll. The area also plays host to a range of South County Dublin's most prestigious schools including St. Michael's, St. Conleth's, Blackrock College,across the road from Marion College.Muckross Park and Teresians to name but a few.
Other nearby attractions include Sandymount Strand with its scenic walks, the RDS, Merrion and Pembroke Cricket Club, Lansdowne Rugby, Elm Park Golf Club and Claremount Tennis Club are also close by. Many of Dublin's principle places of business are within a fifteen minute drive including Merrion Square, St. Stephen's Green, Fitzwilliam Square and the IFSC.