A most attractive and private country home located on some 8 acres of gardens and pleasure grounds.
Caldra House is located approximately 2.5km / 1.5 miles from Carrick on Shannon. The Irish for Carrick-on-Shannon is Cora Droma Ruisc meaing "the weir of the marshy ridge". Carrick on Shannon is the smallest main town in Ireland but has become one of the most progressive centres of diverse quality commercial activity in Ireland and is situated at a crossing point of the River Shannon. Carrick on Shannon has therefore attracted both large and small firms that have located in the area due to the quality of life, education, improved infrastructure, and enthusiastic work force along with various support services from local authorities along with state and semi state development agencies.
CALDRA HOUSE HISTORY
The earliest record of Caldra was in a map in the Co Library, Ballinamore -dated circa 1824. On the 2nd July 1853 the town and lands of Caldra - also known as Caldragh or Learn - were granted to Christopher Armstrong under an act of Queen Victoria.
The house was opened to guests in May 1994 and operated very successfully as a guesthouse with guests from every part of the world but principally from America, Germany and Northern Ireland. Among the most distinguished guests were the then American Ambassador to Ireland, Jean Kennedy Smith the Irish Consul General to New Zealand, Rodney Walsh and the then Secretary to the Taoiseach, Frank Murray.
The accommodation at Caldra House presents comfortable family home with some fine reception rooms for entertaining including a bright conservatory to the side of the house, and can be changed into an extremely manageable and comfortable everyday h ...