DescriptionAnglesea House, a superb, detached family home of circa 7, 880 sq feet occupying a commanding & elevated site surrounded by a blanket of mature trees with awe inspiring views of Cork Harbour. It has its own distinctive sense of place, sitting on a site of 1.5 acres approx., and its seclusion and privacy is balanced with the benefits of neighbours and nearby amenities.
Rochestown is one of the most highly sought-after residential addresses in Cork. Douglas village with all its shopping and restaurant facilities is within 5-minute drive. Educational needs for both primary and second level are catered from within Rochestown itself or Douglas. There is a choice of regular bus services on the doorstep of the property, the 216 and 223 connecting to Cork city offering further schools and shopping facilities. Rochestown itself has a host of sporting and recreational facilities close by from Garryduff for hockey to Douglas Golf Club and the Blackrock Castle Walk is accessed close by at Hartys Quay. The N40 gives easy connectivity to Mahon Point, the Jack Lynch Tunnel and all that west Cork has to offer beyond
Designed and constructed in 1975 by its current owner, this home was the first of its kind built in a modular timber frame design. The builder decided to use this method having seen the benefits in America, so worked in close partnership on all aspects of the design with IIRS (now the NSAI). Such was the interest that the Institute for Industrial Research and Standards were on site regularly to see how a home constructed in this way could work in Ireland. The insulation specification and standards at the time were new to the market, unlike what is now an industry norm, and there was little understanding of the efficiencies of a timber framed home. This house was ahead of its time. And now stands in all its glory waiting to start a new chapter with a new family.
Every aspect of this home was custom designed by the owner paying careful attention to the quality to all of the fixtures and fittings to ensure they stood the test of time. Fitted furniture is unique and sits snugly in the rooms they were created for from reception to bedrooms. All skirting doors and architrave again are specific to this home with some of the doors in different styles with two-tone reflecting the decor of the rooms on each side. Floor to ceiling heights vary to 10 feet which accentuates the brightness of each of the rooms when coupled with the extensive glazing. As you walk through this home you instantly feel the amount of space given to all areas from the grand entrance hall, through to the kitchen/dining room measuring 7.3 meters by 5 meters and the sunken Lounge an impressive 8.1 meters by 6.6 meters. There are wonderful bespoke touches in evidence throughout such as the remote sliding wall unit, when opened reveals a hidden bar.
Great design cannot be over-rated, but family living is at the heart of this home. The large-scale layout of this home is proof that generous space can be comfortable and calming to live in. Its large spacious reception rooms are prefect for entertaining, and its swimming pool, sauna, games room and large gardens offer different options of relaxation for all ages of a family.
The ground floor accommodation extends to reception hall, kitchen/dining room, home office, formal dining room, family room, sunken lounge leading to swimming pool (with sauna, shower and changing room facilities), utility and guest wc. The first floor is home to five double bedrooms the master with full en-suite and family bathroom. The lower ground floor has games room, double garage, with workshop/storeroom off accessed via electric roller doors.
The property sits on a site of approx. 1.5 acres and offers large sprawling lawns as well as defined planted beds of shrubbery. A line of mature trees encompasses the gardens adding to the overall privacy of this home. A sweeping driveway meandering around the entire house gives tremendous parking. The area directly adjacent to the front of the house is laid out with cobble lock patios to sit, relax and dine while enjoying the views beyond.
The property also has the benefit of Planning permission under planning ref 16/6516 granted 5/02/2019. This permission allows for the development of two detached two storey homes each of 208.26 Sq. Mt (2,242 sq. ft) on the lower part of the garden allowing Anglesea House to remain in all its glory standing loftily on just over ¾ acre.
Anglesea House represents an all too rare opportunity to purchase a family home of unique quality in a much sought-after address with captivating and everchanging harbour views.
Viewing is by appointment only.
- Reception Hallway (5.20m x 4.10m 17.06ft x 13.45ft) On entering this home, you are met with a vaulted ceiling clearly setting out the theme of scale and space to be revealed here. The front door is set between stained glass windows and mirrored with the floor to ceiling glazed window running up the stairs. Finished in wood panelled and painted in deep colours, this reception hall is a room of its own
- Kitchen/Dining Room (7.30m x 5.00m 23.95ft x 16.40ft) Open plan kitchen dining room with an overall impressive measurement. This room offers two distinct spaces and could easily incorporate a third depending on a purchaser's requirements. Modelled on tried and tested models from the Clive Christians kitchen design range the kitchen is handmade and bespoke to fit comfortably into the space is occupies, finished with pelmet overhead containing lights. It extends to an �L� shape with a large island unit at its centre. A deep Belfast sink is set beneath a wide picture window looking out over the gardens and lovely views. Tiled between the units this kitchen has a vast amount of countertop space for working on when combined with that in the island unit. The units are fitted at floor and eye level with a mix of display presses and recesses to allow for a range style cooker. All essential appliances are catered for. Single sink unit contained with the island.
The dining area is located off to one side of the kitchen alongside double sliding patio doors making it an exceptionally bright space. The room is finished with Mahogany wood panelled ceiling, recessed lights and fully tiled floor.
- Lounge (8.10m x 6.60m 26.57ft x 21.65ft)
This sunken lounge given its scale is breath-taking. It has a floor to ceiling height of 9' 5� and extensive glazing bringing the eye to the harbour views beyond. A feature fireplace raised to eye level and complete with gas inset fire encased in designed brass surround, sits as a corner feature all finished in cork stone. This room has a unique feature with a sliding wall unit revealing a home Bar when opened. The bar complete with bar counter is fitted with cabinets and shelving, it is well stocked and equipped with cooler fridge. Teardrop lights over the bar counter add to the experience. Finished with carpet and cornicing with ornated centre rose. A sliding door leads to the swimming pool area beyond.
- Office/Playroom (3.50m x 2.60m 11.48ft x 8.53ft) Home Office/ Playroom: 3.5m x 2.6m
Located off the kitchen/dining room this room is ideally suited to a number of uses from playroom to home office. Fitted with wall-to-wall walnut bookshelves and storage cabinets. Also, fitted in this room is a unique ceiling mounted painting specific light fitting.
- Family Room (5.00m x 3.50m 16.40ft x 11.48ft) This is a cosy room located to the rear of the property and finished in neutral tones. Built in display units. Cornicing and centre rose.
- Dining Room (5.70m x 4.30m 18.70ft x 14.11ft) Arranged as a more formal dining room to the everyday use one off the kitchen this room has breath taking views across the gardens to the sea beyond. Wall to wall mahogany storage units with discreet lighting take position across the entire back wall and adds to the warm ambience of this room. Picture lights and cornicing complete the look.
- Games Room (6.20m x 3.60m 20.34ft x 11.81ft) Accessed by stairs from the reception hall, this room is currently set up as a billiards room complete with bespoke snooker table made to fit the exact dimensions of this room and appropriate lighting overhead. Fitted storage with inbuilt lights.
- Utility Room (3.50m x 2.40m 11.48ft x 7.87ft) A fine sized utility room fitted with single drainer sink unit tiled over worktop surface. Wall to wall sliding presses fitted to take all those everyday needs. Tiled floor. Door to rear garden.
- Guest WC (2.10m x 2.10m 6.89ft x 6.89ft) Fitted with two-piece bathroom suite to include bespoke vanity unit arranged with a large vanity mirror as a backdrop. Pelmet lighting.
- Stairs ( ) Stairs to first floor finished with carpet and passing floor to ceiling glazing. The stairs lands at the first floor giving a gallery view to the reception hall below. It is exceptionally bright with the inclusion of a Velux window at this point.
- Landing ( ) The upstairs landing gives access to all five bedrooms and has the addition of a wall of fitted presses acting as a hot press with separate linen presses. There is access to the attic from here through glazed trap door. The attic has two gable windows and would allow for conversion with ease.
- Master Bedroom (6.50m x 4.30m 21.33ft x 14.11ft) Running front to rear this is a lovely master suite. The main bedroom is given to sleeping with walk through wall to wall fitted robes leading to a spacious en-suite beyond. The views from the bedroom window capture even more than those already experience at ground floor level.
- En-suite (5.70m x 2.50m 18.70ft x 8.20ft) Again, impressive in size it allows for fitted three-piece shower suite to include extra-large walk-in shower unit with a choice of shower styles i.e., electric or pump. Beautiful vanity unit fitted with mirrored backdrop with lights and fitted display vanity presses all topped with marble
- Bedroom 2 (4.50m x 4.20m 14.76ft x 13.78ft) Located to the rear of the property this is a fine double bedroom . Wall to wall fitted robes to take care of all storage needs.
- Bedroom 3 (3.60m x 3.00m 11.81ft x 9.84ft) A fine double room located to the front with built in robes.
- Bedroom 4 (3.60m x 2.30m 11.81ft x 7.55ft) A really cool bedroom with wall to wall built in robes which includes fitted galley style children's bed.
- Bedroom 5 (3.70m x 3.00m 12.14ft x 9.84ft) Located to the front of the property with built in robe and drawer unit.
- Bathroom (4.00m x 3.60m 13.12ft x 11.81ft) A fine family bathroom with four-piece coloured bathroom suite. Purpose built double vanity sink unit against a large mirror wall with storage to sides and beneath. Stand-alone bathtub with electric shower overhead. Recessed lights.
- Swimming Pool (12.70m x 7.80m 41.67ft x 25.59ft) Pool size 4.5m x 9m
With its own independent access from the outside and easily accessed off the sunken lounge this swimming pool has given many years of use and enjoyment. While not currently in use its could easily be recommissioned with all the workings located below within the storeroom
- Double Garage (8.80m x 8.10m 28.87ft x 26.57ft) Located at a lower level and accessed directly from the drive these garages have remote up and over doors. They are ideal for a myriad of uses. Separate access to the rear via single door.
- Workshop ( ) An ideal space to use as a workshop. There is also wc at this level. The mechanical workings for the pool are housed in this area.
Features7,880 Sq. Ft.
Approx. 1.5 acres site
C2 energy rating.
Bespoke fitted furniture
Spacious rooms at every level
Gas & Electric Heating
Planning permission for 2 detached homes
This home stands on a very private site extending to approx. 1.5 acres. The gardens are arranged with large open lawns enclosed to the front by a sweep of mature trees adding to the privacy of this home. Flowering beds with strategically placed shrubs line the driveway to the front and sides. A cobble lock patio fronts the house and gives a lovely, sheltered space for outdoor dining and relaxation. The sweeping driveway circles the entire house and gives maximum parking.
To the rear of the property there are raised beds of mature plants which gives rise to two separate patios with additional enhanced views. There is a small, wooded area beyond, perfect as a childrenï¿½s paradise with lots of hiding places. The garage has second access to the rear via single door to an enclosed style courtyard.
Planning permission was sought and granted on part of the lawns. Planning ref 16/6516 was granted 5/02/2019 and allows for the development of two detached two storey homes each of 208.26 Sq. Mt (2,242 sq. ft) on the lower part of the garden allowing Anglesea House to remain in its current position on a site of just over ï¿½ acre.
BER DetailsBER: C2
BER No. 114383888 Energy Performance Indicator: 179.56 kWh/m/yr kWh/m²/yr