O’Connell Street is Dublin’s main thoroughfare in the north of the city centre. It measures 49m (160ft) in width at its southern end, 46m (150ft) at the north and is 500m (1,650ft) in length. Formerly Drogheda Street and Sackville Street, it was renamed in 1924 in honour of nationalist leader Daniel O’Connell, whose statute stands at the lower end of the street, facing O’Connell Bridge. O’Connell Street forms part of a grand thoroughfare that runs through the centre of the capital, taking in O’Connell Bridge, Westmoreland Street, College Green and Dame Street before terminating at City Hall and Dublin Castle. It is well known for its wide streets and is the site of the Spire of Dublin and the GPO, as well as numerous shops, hotels, pubs and restaurants. It serves as a major bus route artery through the city centre, while the Luas also runs through it. A taxi rank is also situated on the street.