Gowna is a village in Co Cavan on the border with Co Longford, which takes its name from nearby Lough Gowna - a freshwater lake which is the uppermost lake on the River Erne. Gowna or Loch Gowna, as it is sometimes known, is located on the north-eastern shore of the lake. The originally name for the village was Scrabby but this was changed in 1950 after a plebiscite of the villagers. The village serves as a service centre for tourism, with hotel accommodation and sizeable numbers of holiday homes in the area. Local amenities including fishing and boating activities, a post office, a GAA Club, pubs, shops and takeaways.