THE OLD SCHOOL AND MASTERâ€™S HOUSE, CASTLEDERMOT, COUNTY KILDARE, IRELAND
The Old School House and adjoining Masterâ€™s House enjoy a superb location on the main street in the historical village of Castledermot in south Kildare, nearby to Carlow town and within easy reach of the M9 motorway [Junction 4].
Built in 1935 the arrangement of the accommodation is typical of the designs prepared for schools on behalf of the Department of Education. Built to a symmetrical plan with a central entrance door set within a projecting exposed stone bay and flanked by four tall windows to either side, the old school is most attractive and benefits from good natural light, the large windows facing southwest. The entrance splay and boundary wall are built in local stone and seamlessly tie in with the historic stone buildings in the village, including the fine Franciscan friary Abbey dating to 1300.
Purchased by the present owners in 1974 and converted into a restaurant and guest house The Old School House became colloquially and affectionately known as Doyleâ€™s School House, a well-known and popular restaurant with bed and breakfast accommodation. Alterations and/or extensions combining with the existing accommodation provide three reception rooms, a function room, toilets and a kitchen with separate pantry stores on the ground floor and four bedroom suites on the first floor. The adjoining Masterâ€™s House later utilised in conjunction with an adjoining annexe provides a further 8 bedrooms. The restaurant has been closed in recent years, with the property utilised as a residence with two lettable apartments.
Although converted to an alternative use the original form and character of the school house is evident and the extensions to t ...