The land in sale comprises of a wide range of institutional, residential and other buildings including Corville House, woodland, farmland and a historic walled garden.
Specifically excluded from sale are St. Anneâ€™s Special School, the Abbey ruin with attached graveyard and two cemeteries. Rights of way will be provided to ensure access to these sites.
The property is comprised within Folios TY33388 and TY27577F, standing on approximately 60 acres
The buildings occupied by The Daughters of Charity Service are presently the subject of an informal agreement under which rent is paid regularly.
The Sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary will enter into a lease with the purchaser in respect of The Lodge, under terms to be negotiated and agreed in due course. There will be vacant possession of the balance.
History of Corville Estate:
The principal house on the Estate, known as Corville House, was built about 1770 and owned by the Birch family who were wealthy landowners in the area.
In the first part of the 19th Century the estate was leased by the Prittie family, and then in about 1878 it was bought by Count John Oâ€™Byrne. His son Patrick Oâ€™Byrne, a prominent member of North Tipperary County Council and local business man, inherited the property. In 1930, Count Patrick Oâ€™Byrne sold the property to the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, the current owners.
Historians tell us that, in the 6th Century, St. Cronan chose this site for his monastery which he named â€œSean Rossâ€ which gave rise to the growth of Roscrea town. As a result of this, the Sisters named their new convent, Sean Ross Abbey.
At the request of Government, the Sisters opened a home for mothers and babies in 1931. The work continued until 1970 when different social conditions prevailed. The Government again approached the Sisters to provide for children with Intellectual Disabilities, and so began St. Anneâ€™s school. In the early 1990â€™s this was extended into St. Anneâ€™s Service for Adults with Intellectual Disabilities. These works continue, partially on site, and under the separate manageme ...