my home logo
By using this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with the Cookie Policy
By using this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with the Cookie Policy


Advice#guideyouhomePost purchase considerations

Post purchase considerations


You’ve finally got the keys to your new home and you might have even had a house warming but now you need to let the rest of the world know you’ve moved as well.

This involves updating your address with all who need it to ensure all your mail gets to you in your new home.

You can use An Post’s Redirection Service to ensure your mail is forwarded to your new address. This is a paid-for service for periods of anything from 3 months to two years but you should also let any service providers know of your updated details. This can include your gas or electricity provider, your bank, your waste collection provider and your workplace.

You may need to close and reopen utility accounts for items such as broadband but generally a quick call to your provider and they will work things out for you quickly and painlessly.

If you are moving into a home that has been previously occupied, ask the previous owners to transfer the utility accounts into your name and to make sure that there are no outstanding waste charges. Contact the utility providers in good time to ensure that everything is connected when you move in. Take initial readings for all metered services as soon as you take possession of the premises.

You may be able to update your TV licence to your new address today. You can do this online at or contact your local Post Office.

Another thing also worth updating is the Electoral Register. You can check it online at where the relevant forms are available.

You are not obliged to change the address on your driving licence or learner permit, but it is advisable to do so. You must apply in person to one of the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) centres and supply documentary evidence of the change of address. You must contact your motor insurance company or broker to inform them of your new address so that your policy can be updated. Where the vehicle is kept is one of the factors that affects your insurance premium. If you are a member of a breakdown service, you should change your address with them also.

Similarly home, health and life insurance should also be updated and if you have children, it is advised to let their schools know of your updated address too.

If you receive any social welfare payments, such as Child Benefit or Jobseeker's Benefit, you will need to contact your social welfare office or Intreo centre to let them know your new address. even if you are paid electronically. They will require proof of your new address, such as a utility bill or bank statement.

Finally, you should let the likes of your doctor, dentist, optician and any other health professionals you deal with know of your updated details.